The Kiwanis Club of Charlottetown is a member of Kiwanis International, a worldwide organization of men and women devoted to the principle of service; the advancement of individual, community, and national well-being; and the strengthening of international goodwill. Kiwanis was founded in Detroit, Michigan in 1915.
In 1916, the first Kiwanis club outside the United States was formed in Hamilton, Ontario. Today there are more than 8,500 Kiwanis clubs with more than 600,000 family members in 70 countries around the world. Kiwanis International also sponsors service clubs for young people: Circle K International for university and college students; Key Club International for senior high school students; and Builders Clubs for junior high or middle school students.
The name “Kiwanis” was coined from an expression in an American Indian language of the Detroit Area, “Nunc Kee-wanis”, which means, “we trade” or “we share our talents”.
The following are the six permanent “Objects” (principles) of Kiwanis International. They were approved by delegates at the 1924 Convention in Denver, Colorado. Through the succeeding decades, they have remained unchanged.
- To give primacy to the human and spiritual rather than to the material values of life.
- To encourage the daily living of the Golden Rule in all human relationships.
- To promote the adoption and the application of higher social, business, and professional standards.
- To develop, by precept and example, a more intelligent, aggressive, and serviceable citizenship.
- To provide, through Kiwanis clubs, a practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service, and to build better communities.
- To cooperate in creating and maintaining that sound public opinion and high idealism which make possible the increase of righteousness, justice, patriotism, and goodwill.
|1st Vice-President||Doug Coles|
|Past President||Darren Creamer|
|Monty Gautreau||Sheldon Brushett
|Basil Hambly||Abe Zakem|
|Paula MacKay||Shaylagh Mackay|
|Sheldon Brushett||Darren Creamer|
|Doug Coles||Monty Gautreau|
|Basil Hambly||Kyle Hambly|
|Suzanne Lee||David MacCallum|
|Grant MacLeod||Jim McInnes|
|Sherry Spence||Abe Zakem|